Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Due Diligence And Becoming A Market Leader

If I look back over my career in the internet marketing world, there are certain key leverage points. They are the points where once I got that, a lot of other things started to click together.

The first two of these crucial leverage points are massive. They are doing the due diligence, and if you want to break that down, what is due diligence? It’s asking the right questions and never making an assumption. The best interviewers, the people who are best at doing due diligence, doing the research, are the ones who ask all the questions.

I bet you’ve had this conversation in your head. I’ve had this conversation in my head all the time. There’s a little yellow flag, a little alarm bell going off about something. Maybe I’m buying a car. For whatever reason I’m thinking, oh, I’m not going to ask that. You don’t feel like you can ask it because you think you might come across as sounding stupid, or whatever, or you’re embarrassed. You don’t want to come across as not being knowledgeable.

They’re the questions you must ask. I forget who it was, I wish I could credit the person, but if you ever watched Columbo, the old TV series, he was like this doddering detective. People always underestimated him because he just seemed like this bumbling fool. But that’s brilliant. It’s brilliant to be the bumbling fool in your marketplace.

If you’re the one who’s asking all the key questions, that’s good. Due diligence is asking all of the questions, and getting an answer. Asking the questions and getting an answer, shutting up, not answering for the other person. Let them tell you the answer. If that means you are quiet for a while, be quiet for a while, ok. Human beings abhor silence, they really do. If you ask a question and they’re thinking about it for a minute, you’re so likely to jump in and try to help them.

Unfortunately, human nature being what it is, we tend to help them towards the answer that we want, as opposed to the reality of the answer. So ask great questions, and recognize the power of the question and the power of spending just a little bit of time to come up with some great questions before you go into that situation, huge. Market research, huge. Knowing that risk mitigation, think about it, how powerful are these questions, when you really cut it down, it is all about asking the right type of questions at the right time.

Then I suppose the next huge one for me, is I was looking online and at online niches and niche marketing, why some people are successful and why a lot aren’t. What are the core differences? I’ve got this privileged position, if you will, of literally seeing thousands of people with these businesses, thanks to the Thirty Day Challenge.

So I was asking, what is the core difference? One of these things is what I term market leadership. What I mean by market leadership is that the people who are really successful, either them or a pseudonym, it doesn’t have to be them, it can be a character, like Elton John, he’s Dwight something, but they have a leadership position. What I mean by that is that they take a position in their marketplace. They are in discussions. They are the ones who speak at conferences. They’re the ones who create blog posts.

So the two crucial leverage points for me have been, doing due diligence, which is asking the right question, and market leadership, being able to put great content into the marketplace. Do these and you are on your way to becoming an SEO expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment